Friday, February 27, 2009

Saturday morning yard work

Dad, you'll appreciate this post.

It's a Saturday morning, 8am, and I'm woken up by yard workers outside my window.

But it's not the sound of a lawn mower, or a weed wacker that I'm hearing. It's not a shrub trimmer or even a rake.

Whack!

Whack!

Whack!

WWHHOOOOOOOOSH!

For the life of me, I could not figure out what could possibly be making this noise...until I looked outside.
From Gambia

Just your typical Saturday morning palm tree trimming.
From Gambia

I have video of this amazing feat which you just have to see to believe. The brown dead branches that you see hanging close to the trunk have to be periodically trimmed away, otherwise they could potentially fall off naturally and cause a lot of damage to the roof and yard. They are HUGE and heavy. With a few whacks of a machete they fall to the ground, usually along with the large hard fruits that are in the photo. There were quite a few other men out there to supervise and help direct the trimmer guy as well. Also, amazingly, he holds himself up there with just band that goes around the tree. He manouvers about the tree by adjusting this band. And it's only made with a dried palm leaf!

Talk about workplace health and safety...I hope the view from up there is worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment